This is a companion to my Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

When my husband and I started planning a trip to New Zealand, I was delighted to read about the large number of unique birds that reside there. Having exhausted the supply of new birds at home, this was a welcome opportunity to continue my birding education. This blog will cover the various birding sites on the North and South Islands and (hopefully) the multitude of birds we encounter there.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kapiti Island

Today, we took a small ferry to Kapiti Island which is off the southwest coast of the North Island in the Tasman Sea. The island is a protected reserve and home to many species of native New Zealand birds, including 1,200 Kiwis. Unfortunately, we were only there in the daytime, so I didn't see any Kiwis but I did manage to get pretty close to some other interesting birds. In fact, the Kaka that landed on my shoulder got a little too close as far as I was concerned!

North Island Weka
North Island Kokako

North Island Kaka





No comments:

Post a Comment